Saturday, October 20, 2012

KTV




Karaoke, for KTV as it is know in East Asia, is wildly popular in China. When conversing with someone you have just met, after, “where you from?” and, “why you so tall?” the first question is usually, “do you like KTV?”


Unlike communal Western karaoke bars, patrons hire a private room where they and their friends sing and are delivered drinks and food as they desire. The establishments are ubiquitous, popping up on just about every street corner, and often hidden away inside other businesses. Last weekend at a club (which is a whole other report that I’ll be making when I’ve been back with a camera), we were ushered at closing time onto what I thought was the street, but ended up singing in a back room for what felt like an eternity, 


The past time is prevalent amongst the young and old, men and women. Whole families will go at the weekend, young men after work on a Friday night. Some will drink beer, most just smoke countless cigarettes and sing for hours.

It is also apparently socially acceptable for two men to sing “I Will Always Love You” to each other, alone, whilst holding hands, as my friend Peter and I did recently.


KTV bars are also notorious for often being front for prostitution. At many you can hire a “host,” a pretty young lady who will pour drinks for you and your party, and keep you company more privately if you are willing to pay extra. I’ve yet to encounter such place, but will be back with full chronicle once I do.





 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment